Monday, September 22, 2008

Bee en mi Cuello

I don’t know what it is about me (the mesmerizing eyes, stylish hair, amazing body odor), but every insect that is local to Honduras has an uncanny attraction to yours truly. Most people may already be familiar to the love that zancudos/mosquitos have for me (91 bites in one day in Costa Rica (and as a side note, I actually killed a mosquito preparing to bite me immediately after writing this sentence)). The ants here seem to have the same hunger for my flesh (though it seems like this population has it even worse for Mike), moths have flown at me, gigantic grasshoppers have jumped at me, and I’ve been told by Joe several times that my eyebrows resemble a certain bushy species of caterpillar that lives here (confirmed by a few others (but he probably paid them to say it)). Now, we can add to the list bees. When driving down the road the other day at a leisurely 90km/hr, something entered my window and struck me in the neck. My first thought was: I hope that wasn’t a bee that just stung me in the neck (don’t ask me why this was my first thought, I hadn’t seen any bees at this point, and a fly or rock would have been much more logical choice). Unfortunately, it had been a bee, and I soon realized that it had in fact stung me in the neck (thankfully I don’t have the same allergies as certain members of my family). I found the bee, and quickly disposed of him/her/it/him (minus the queen, most bees are guys, right?) out the window. Thinking that the adventure was over, I continued driving. Moments later, something began crawling up my arm. I looked down, surprised to find another Judas on a bee-line (get it?) towards my neck. Wanting some karmic good to build, I let this bee live, though I can’t say I’ll be quite so generous next time.

No comments: